- Do you like to wear special costumes?
- I’m really into them! To me, wearing them is a fantastic way to stand out from the crowd. And by the way, Halloween is my favorite time of the year as I can wear special costumes, dressing up as any character I want on without being called a freak by my peers.
- did you try any special costumes when you were young?
- Yes, of course! I used to wear different kinds of special costumes when I was a kid, but I suppose I would go for the one I wore in grade 9. I dressed up as Harry Potter – my character of choice and NO LIE I got quite a great deal of compliments for that costume.
3. When was your last time wearing special costumes?
- Well, on 2019’s Halloween I think. It’s quite a pity that last year’s Halloween was dropped as I would love to show off to my buddies the costume I made for that year. Anyway, the costume I wore is based on the somewhat futuristic costume worn by Tony Stark – a character in the Marvel universe. The making of this costume was so demanding because I had to be meticulously attentive to small details all the time.
- have you ever bought special costumes?
- It’s a NO for me! I would rather make a DIY costume than hunt for ready to wear special ones. Well, I mean, the clothes that I’ve customized always appear more personalized and meaningful to me. What I’m trying to say is that I enjoy being involved in the making of the costume, cutting out the cardboard and then glueing them together. I LOVE that kind of feeling.
- stand out from the crowd /stænd aʊt frɒm ðə kraʊd/: nổi bật giữa đám đông.
- dress up as a character /drɛs ʌp æz ə ˈkærɪktə/: mặc như nhân vật.
- character of choice /maɪ ˈkærɪktər ɒv ʧɔɪs/ nhân vật yêu thích.
- somewhat futuristic /ˈsʌmwɒt ˌfjuːʧəˈrɪstɪk/: hơi khoa học viễn tưởng.
- be meticulously attentive to small details /mɪˈtɪkjʊləsli əˈtɛntɪv tuː smɔːl ˈdiːteɪlz/: chú ý đến những chi tiết nhỏ.
- customize sth /ˈkʌstəˌmaɪz/: tùy chỉnh.
- personalized and meaningful: cá nhân hóa và có ý nghĩa.
Describe a person who you think wears unusual clothes
Well, when it comes to a person wearing unusual clothes, there’s only one person popping in my mind.
That’s a close friend of mine whom I’ve known for more than 10 years. I met him when I was on a school day trip. Actually, we came from two different classes but I happened to be seated next to him. I don’t want to seem judgmental but when I first saw him, what I thought was he was such a peculiar person, not in terms of his appearance but more of the clothes he was wearing.
At that time, what he was wearing was a furry thick black sweater on the inside along with a Korean style gilet on the outside. This style accompanied with the heatwave in the summer made him sweat a lot. This kind of mixing and matching did help him stand out from the crowd but sadly no one wanted to sit next to him. He was like an outcast, sitting there alone having no one to talk to. I was seated next to him so I thought I and he shouldn’t keep silent for the whole trip. I decided to make a move, breaking the ice by asking him what cartoon he was fond of. It turned out that Code Lyoko was our cartoon of choice.
As our conversation went on, I realized that we had so many interests in common. Later on, on our way back from the day trip, I asked him about the clothes he was wearing. He said he was dressing up as a main character in a novel he was reading. In the novel, the protagonist, despite being alienated from society due to his choice of fashion, still stuck to it to the end.
Anyway, after the trip, our friendship got on like a house on fire and we’ve been friends ever since.
- a peculiar person: người kỳ quái
- mix and match: phối đồ
- have so many interests in common: cò nhiều sở thích chung
- be alienated from society: bị tách biệt với xã hội
- choice of fashion: lựa chọn thời trang